Were You in a Car Accident in San Jose?
A local attorney at our firm can guide you forward
With so many cars on the road every day in San Jose and throughout Santa Clara County, every motorist has a shared responsibility to follow the rules of the road. Unfortunately, some don’t do so, and when crashes happen, lives can be changed forever. You have every right to be angry, worried, and apprehensive about what’s next. An experienced San Jose car accident lawyer can help you navigate the road ahead.
The Swanson Law Group has the experience, resources, and winning track record needed to stand up for people injured in San Jose car accidents. We will guide you forward, protect your legal rights, and fight hard to take down the insurance company. Don’t go it alone; schedule your free consultation at our San Jose office today.
What to do after a car accident in San Jose
The choices you make in the aftermath of a crash can have a huge effect on the outcome of your case. After you make sure the scene is safe, here is what to do next:
- Call the police. They need to investigate your accident and prepare an accident report. Remain at the scene until they arrive and comply with their instructions. You can later get a copy of the accident report from the San Jose Police, the California Highway Patrol’s San Jose Area Office, or whichever other law enforcement agency investigated the crash.
- Exchange insurance information. Make sure you get names, contact information, and insurance information for any other drivers involved.
- Collect evidence. Take pictures of the scene, vehicle damage, and any visible injuries. Get contact information for any witnesses.
- Keep your comments brief. Stick to the facts of what happened. Don’t say anything that could be construed as admitting fault. Don’t apologize or try to explain it away.
- Get medical attention. Go to your primary care provider, an urgent care clinic, or a hospital emergency room, even if you feel fine. Follow the doctor’s instructions.
- Notify your insurance company. Again, keep your comments to an insurance company brief, sticking to the facts of what happened.
- Don’t sign any paperwork. You can’t risk signing something that could undermine your legal rights later. Make sure you speak with a lawyer before you sign anything.
- Contact us right away. Talk to a car accident lawyer at our firm as soon as possible so that we can protect your rights and investigate your accident.
How we investigate car accidents in San Jose
If you choose us to represent you, the first thing we will do is contact the insurance company to let them know they can send all further correspondence to us. The second thing is to investigate the accident and get to the bottom of what happened. Car accident cases are won and lost based on evidence, and every detail can matter. We put in the time to talk to witnesses, review physical evidence, and build a strong case for the compensation you need.
In a large city like San Jose, there are often many witnesses to a car accident. This is a double-edged sword: more witnesses mean it’s not just your word against the other driver’s, but they can also create confusion as witnesses often disagree on what they saw. The insurance company will use this confusion to their advantage. We are adept at asking witnesses the right questions and cross-referencing their stories with the physical evidence to reconstruct what happened and who was responsible.
There are dozens of traffic cameras in San Jose and across Santa Clara County; if one of them recorded your accident, we will take legal action to preserve and secure that footage before it’s lost or overwritten. We review photos of the accident scene, physical evidence, such as damage to the vehicles, and pore over police accident reports when they become available. Our goal is to identify the cause of your accident -- whether that’s drunk driving, distracted driving, falling asleep at the wheel, or simply reckless and careless driving -- and tell the story of how it happened in a way that a San Jose jury will find compelling.
We handle all types of car crashes in San Jose
The way your accident happened will shape the legal challenges you’re facing. We have the experience to take on all types of car accidents, including:
- Rear-end accidents: In San Jose’s infamously congested traffic, rear-end crashes are common. Usually, the insurance company won’t dispute who is responsible for the accident – there’s a strong presumption that the driver of the rear vehicle is at fault – but they absolutely will downplay the extent of your injuries. Even a low-speed crash can cause life-altering injuries, though, and we know how to prove it.
- T-bone/broadside accidents: At San Jose’s busy intersections, the risk of a side-impact collision is real, and the injuries sustained are often severe because the side of a vehicle provides much less protection than the front or rear. Witnesses often disagree on the sequence of events or which car had the right of way, and the outcome of your case can hinge on a split second’s worth of difference. We conduct thorough investigations to build an airtight case.
- Head-on collisions: When two cars collide head-on, one of them had to be going the wrong way. Which vehicle was at fault, though, is often disputed, and when that happens, you can end up being blamed for your injuries. We don’t put up with the insurance companies’ pressure tactics and gaslighting, and we will relentlessly advocate for you throughout high-stakes negotiations.
- Multi-vehicle accidents: Crashes involving three or more cars are unfortunately common in San Jose’s heavy traffic, and they can become exceptionally complicated with multiple insurance companies involved. We know how to navigate these complex situations and find your best path forward.
- Uber and Lyft Accidents: The Bay Area is the original home of the big rideshare services, and when their drivers are involved in accidents, things can get complicated quickly. We know how to sort out the legal issues surrounding rideshare accidents and fight for the compensation you deserve.
- Hit and run/phantom vehicle: Moving forward after a car accident is always difficult, but it can be even worse when the other driver flees the scene. We can help you file an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim and explore your other legal options if the at-fault driver isn’t found.
We know how to deal with the car insurance company
As much as they love to say that they’re on your side and have your best interests at heart, at the end of the day, insurance companies are in business to make money, and they make their money by paying injured people as little as possible. The car accident may have been one of the worst days of your life, but to the insurance company, it’s just another day at the office. They think nothing of using pressure tactics, fear, and gaslighting to manipulate injured people into signing away their rights. They do this every day, and if you go up against them alone, you’re at a disadvantage.
We can level the playing field. We have the resources to take on the insurance companies, and we know the roads in San Jose and the courts in Santa Clara County. In addition to identifying the cause of your accident, we will listen to your story and understand the full extent of how the injury has affected your life. Health is precious, and losing it has ripple effects on everything else. It’s not just your medical bills and the damage to your vehicle; it’s the long-term impact on your family, your relationships, your career, and your future. We know how to build a strong case for the full amount of compensation you need to rebuild your life and put pressure on the car insurance company to pay up.
That means preparing every case for trial. Many of our cases do settle out of court because the insurance company can see we’re ready to take them to court and argue your case before a judge and jury. They know our reputation, and they know our track record of results. Usually, they’re willing to come to the table and offer a fair settlement that pays for the full cost of your accident. If they won’t cooperate, though, we will not hesitate to take them to trial.
You can afford a dedicated car accident attorney in San Jose
You have legal rights under California law, and your ability to exercise those rights shouldn’t depend on your ability to pay. We represent car accident victims on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t owe us a penny unless and until we win your case. If we reach a settlement or win a favorable verdict in court, our fee is a percentage of the money we recover for you. If we don’t win, we don’t get paid at all. In short, you have a level playing field and a pathway to justice, regardless of your financial means.
This can be a long process, and we can’t promise it will be easy. There will be more challenges on the road ahead. At every stage, though, you will have our law firm as your guide, advocate, and resource. We will refer you to excellent doctors and support professionals, keep you informed of the status of your case, and make sure you always know what to expect next. This is our passion, and we’re in the fight with you.
You need to get started quickly, though: the statute of limitations (legal deadline) for car accidents in California is two years from the date of the accident, and it’s in your interest to take legal action much sooner than that. Get an experienced San Jose car accident attorney on your side to guide you to a better future. Contact us today for your free consultation.